Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Canning Salsa

I had such a great time canning salsa this past month. I won't be canning again until after we move and are settled, so it was a fun experiment. The girls helped me in prepping the tomatoes and that made it go a lot faster. You can seed them by just ripping them apart with your hands (Indiana Jones style) after they are peeled and cored.


The Supplies

The Blanching
The Peeling and Coring
 
The Seeding
The Chopping
The Salsa!

10 c. blanched, peeled, cored, seeded, chopped tomatoes (6 lbs)
5 c. green peppers, chopped (2 lbs.)
5 c. onions, chopped (1.5 lbs)
2.5 c. hot peppers (1 lb) - I only used 1/4 of this amount but wish I had used more
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 T cilantro, minced (I would prefer more)
3 t. salt
1 1/4 cider vinegar

Combine in large saucepot, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.

Ladle hot salsa into jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Process 15 minutes in boiling water canner.

No comments: